Tuesday, December 29, 2009

...the Grandchildren

Ok, they aren't children but they are my daughter's "Babies" so even if they are four legged and furry, I consider them my "Grandchildren" or Grandpets to satisfy the eternally picky.

I'm in no hurry for my daughter to have actual children, but I have to admit, Rory, Thumper, and Bella are terrific stand-ins. Particularly Bella or to be more accurate Bellatrix LaStrange Zombie Wonder Dog (more on that name later).

Bella is a Toy Fox Terrier Labrador mix and I don't believe it's possible for her to take a bad picture:

Bella in snuggle mode


And with her "Dad"


OK, you see what just happened? I rolled out the pictures - just like a typical grandmother!


Before you think I have gone off the deep end, I do respect the concept of pack behavior and how it applies to having a dog. Consequently, Gavin is her Pack Leader and my daughter is Pack Leader's mate. Bella gets that. I'm not her pack leader, but I did spend time establishing dominance so she knows I am higher in the pack order than she is, and yes, you have to reinforce that from time to time.

However, like a typical grandparent, I spoil her rotten (lots of attention, treats, dog beds, etc). Consequently, when I get home, I am greeted by a wildly excited Bella eager to get one-on-one attention from grandma, a lot of love, and of course a treat. To be fair, I have been using the treats as training, so she is learning commands. We have mastered Sit and we are currently working on Fetch.

Now, why is she called the Zombie Wonder Dog. Check out this YouTube video of the puppy Bella and Thumper the cat.... ok perhaps she is a bit of a slow learner, however.....

...My granddog could easily run down and kill any squirrel in our subdivision...

So there!

No comments:

a blog of exploration, discovery, and recovery